Saturday, April 23, 2011

Prince @ the Forum: A Blanket Statement Before I Continue...

Rather than write a separate review for every show I intend to see on this tour, let me save myself the time and just lay out the slew of comments I'm most likely to make.

Comments you're most likely to hear from me during the Welcome2America Tour:
OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HOLY $#!%!!! HE'S PLAYING THIS???
Raspberry Beret, Take Me With You, & Kiss?? Well, the regular folks seem to dig it.
I'm a PRINCE SNOB.
I WANT Sheila's SHOES.
That was the BEST SHOW, I EVER SAW!!!

Now that I got that done and over with, here's my blanket statement. I'm going to love every show, simply because it's Prince. And I've seen him enough times to be able to gauge a good show from a bad one just by his demeanor and whatever random songs he decides to play outside of the normal "HITS" that everyone is familiar with.

Furthermore, I'm LOVING this tour because Prince seems HAPPY to play for us. Someone wrote on Prince.org, saying "Prince was playing as if he was trying to win us over" and I have to agree. So far, he's been playing a little of everything for every kind of fan he's got --- from the brand new "I just figured out who Prince was last week on George Lopez" fans, to the casual "OMG I just LOVE PURPLE RAIN!!!" fans, to the hardcore "I have every bootleg, can recite all the lines from all his movies AND have shit even Prince didn't know he did" crazy-ass fans (the category to which I PROUDLY belong) --- he's giving us all a special dose of his unique brand of FUNK. And what's more, he seems to be putting some REAL THOUGHT into his set lists EVERY NIGHT. Its not the cookie-cutter/auto-pilot same set list night after night. EVERY night is different --- from the level of funk to the rare song he'll pull out that you've never heard him play live before --- You NEVER KNOW what he's going to do --- AND THAT'S what keeps me and the rest of my friends coming back over and over again.

Okay...Now that I've done that, I can proceed with writing out the setlists and adding a few comments about each show. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment