Friday, April 15, 2011

Prince @ the Forum: Nuit Un --- Opening Night

[SET LIST: Prince @ the Forum | April 14, 2011]

Prince, as spontaneous as always announced the start of his LA run barely a week before the first show. Begrudgingly, I had to miss opening night because I had tickets to Janet Jackson — my first time ever, seeing her in concert — for over a month. It sucked that both of their LA runs were beginning on the same night. I had a sneaking suspicion that Prince did this on purpose...perhaps to see how quickly he could sell out even with Miss Jackson in town.

It seems likely because I distinctly remember Prince canceling a show and rescheduling it on the same night Madonna was playing. Hundreds of fans then had to choose between them...having had tickets to Madonna already in hand. I'm sure it sucked for Madonna fans back then...as it sucked for us Janet fans. But having seen Prince many times, I decided the world wouldn't stop turning if I missed opening night. And given that I have been wanting to see Janet in concert ever since I was in High School....well, Janet won this battle. (A review of her show is still pending.)

Taken from a friend's email, here's the set list from Prince's opening night at the Forum. A tremendously great sign of a fantastic tour. He apparently did 6 encores...And if I think about it too much, I'll just get madder that I missed it. So I'll shut up now and post the set list.

SETLIST:

1. DMSR Great opening number!!!!!
2. Pop Life
3. Prince & The Band
Unexpected song that NO ONE else knows.
4. Extraordinary

5. Uptown
6. Raspberry Beret
7. Cream
8. Cool
(The Time cover) (with Don't Stop 'Till You Get Enough interpolation)
9. Let's Work

10. U Got the Look

Interlude. The girls sang Bob Dylan's (or Adele's) Make you Feel My Love.
11. Purple Rain

12. Let's Go Crazy
13. Delirious
14. 1999
15. The Beautiful Ones

16. Little Red Corvette

ENCORE 1
18. Kiss

19. When Doves Cry / Nasty Girls / Sign Of The Times / Darling Nikki / 777-9311 / Single Ladies

20. If Eye Was Ur Girlfriend
21. Insatiable
22. Scandalous
23. Adore

ENCORE 2

25. A Love Bizarre
(with Sheila E.)
26. Play That Funky Music
(Wild Cherry cover)
27. Controversy
(with Housequake chants)

ENCORE 3

29. The Glamorous Life
(with Sheila E.)
30. Peach
(with Sheila E.)

ENCORE 4
32. Dance (Disco Heat)
(Sylvester cover)
33. Baby I'm a Star

ENCORE 5
35. Stratus
(Billy Cobham cover)
36. Sometimes It Snows in April

ENCORE 6
38. Laydown
39. Endorphinmachine

40. She's Always in My Hair

41. Dreamer (Instrumental)
42. Welcome 2 America

No comments:

Post a Comment