Saturday, April 23, 2011

Prince @ the Forum: A Man and his MOUNTAINBIKE?!?!?

[CONCERT REVIEW — PRINCE @ the Forum | April 22, 2011]

Inglewood, CA | Night #3 of Prince's 21-Night Stand in Los Angeles —

The opening act for this night was Mint Condition. Didn't recognize most of what they played. I assume most of it was material from their new album. But they did finish with (Breaking My Heart) Pretty Brown Eyes. Everyone knows that song...hearing it took me back.

Setlist: (9:21pm)
  • Beginning Endlessly
  • Laydown
  • Endorphinmachine
  • She's Always In My Hair
  • Future Soul Song
  • Take Me With U
  • Raspberry Beret
  • Cream
  • Cool (Time cover)/Don't Stop Till U Get Enough (homage to MJ) --- Sheila E. and Cuba Gooding Jr. come out to dance
  • Let's Work (w/ America guitar int. --- yes, I heard it, and if you heard it too, you weren't imagining things)
  • Hollywood Swingin (Kool & the Gang cover)
  • You Got The Look
  • Misty Blue (sung by Shelby J.)
  • How Come You Don't Call Me Anymore (with Alicia Keys!!!!! --- AMAZING to hear them sing it together!!!)
  • Teaser Medley: When Doves Cry/Nasty Girl/Sign O' the Times/The Most Beautiful Girl in the World/Darling Nikki
  • If I Was Ur Girlfriend (Prince dancing on piano...WHAT???)

ENCORE 1:
  • DMSR (w/ Shake That Money Maker chant)
  • Controversy

ENCORE 2:
  • Purple Rain

The show seemed considerably shorter than Thursday's show — he ended it rather abruptly — barely a 2-hour show. As with the previous night, there was a private afterparty in the Forum Club. But as with most of his afterparties these days, it was A-list and VIP only. Through the power of the internet and talk on the street, word on his multiple encores had gotten around, so even after the lights came up after Purple Rain, and the techs were climbing down from the lights and set, the crowd didn't make any moves to leave. Most stayed in their seats hoping that he was going to come back out. And it wasn't until 40 minutes later, when Security started motioning for us to leave, that we finally stood up and made our way to the outer foyer.

Out by the consessions stand, I ran into Eric, Kevin, Angel, Jo (from Chi-Town)...and just as we were about to say our "goodbyes," a huge cheer erupted from the crowd still inside the arena. We all ran back inside in time to see Prince circling the arena on a mountain bike --- definitely one to file under "WTF???" After a large lap around, he disappeared backstage again. And we all took this as a sign that he could very possibly take the stage again. So everyone came back in and took any seat they could find --- some folks managed to get on the floor before Security cut off the stream of fans. The rest of us took up Loge seats and sat to wait for what would hopefully be the most amazing encore/aftershow we'd ever witnessed. After another 30 minutes or so, Security started motioning for us to leave again, and we all ended up filing out and leaving without any additional appearances.

It was a great show --- Prince can't really do a bad one. But I kind of felt "cheated" this evening. He doesn't usually end his shows with Purple Rain. I was geared up for more after that song. And after 6 encores the first night and 4 last night, I was hoping to get at least one more song out of him. But sadly, he was done for the night.

The two highlights for me this evening, were hearing FUTURE SOUL SONG and ENDORPHINMACHINE. I'm not a big fan of 20Ten --- but if I were to pick out one song from that album to be my favorite FSS would be it and I'm so happy to have heard him perform it. And ENDORPHINMACHINE???? After learning that he did that song on opening night, I was HOPING to hear it...and now that I have?? There are only two words...Freaking FUNKY!!!

I guess I'm going to have to wait a bit longer to hear the full version of Adore and Extraordinary. I hope he doesn't cycle those out of his set lists. I can't wait until the next round of shows to see what he'll pull out. His catalog is so extensive...anything's possible!

That's the thing about Prince...he'll always keep you coming back for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment